Curious about who I am? Posts about health and natural birth Resources and posts regarding vaccines and informed consent Posts about Parenting and Relationships Spirituality and Life Lessons Email me Home

7 Vital Reasons NOT to Yell at Kids

Here’s a confession: I have yelled at my daughter.

Ok, screamed.

I’m definitely not proud of it. It fills me with shame when I think about it actually.

It doesn’t happen often. I do make a conscious  effort not to raise my voice to my daughter (or anyone for that matter).

However, when a parent makes a conscious choice not to yell at a child, the situations that might bring it about don’t disappear all of a sudden.


For me, the feeling normally happens when we’re in the car and my 3 year old is crying about something I have no control over at the moment. In general, when my daughter is in distress I am able to embrace her and talk to her eye to eye. In the car, it’s not something I am capable of.

There’s no magic solution, but you are able to substantially reduce the risk once you consciously make the decision to pursue an alternative response to your anger or feelings.

The times I have yelled or screamed at my child has taught me exactly why I try never to do it again in the future.


Here are 7 reasons I’ve learned not to yell at kids:


It Doesn’t Change Behavior

I’m not sure if you’ve notice this, but I sure have. If I do happen to lose it– it never changes my child’s behavior. I would have to admit, it only exacerbates the situation…which only leads to even more frustration! Ahhhhhh!


Relief is Only Temporary

Yelling or screaming only work in that moment (if you manage to make it work at all). Just like a bully, it is used to intimidate those into compliance – most likely making children feel anxious, worried and scared.


It Weakens Your Influence

Yelling may actually cause your child to become more disruptive… It can drive a wedge in your relationship – making your child feel embarrassed, ashamed, and confused that the person who loves him/her the most is acting in such an unloving way towards them.



It Presents You as a Terrible Role Model

Hello! Children model behavior, it’s probably one of the best things they do. If your child frequently acts in ways that you can’t stand – there’s a good chance the person to blame is YOU!

Yelling only perpetuates the cycle.


It is Graceless

Can you imagine what you look and sound like when you’re yelling at your kids.

I bet it ain’t-none-too prutty.

Take a deep breath and don’t react. Instead, act with meaningful intention.


It’s Demanding

Yelling is an expression of frustration – taking a child’s behavior personally. Not only is it stressful to you, but stressful for your kids. It’s bad for your health!


They Tune You Out

When you are yelling all of the time, children will learn only to listen to you when your voice is raised. In other words, a child will learn that unless you’re shouting, you must not really mean it. Before you know it, you’re voice will be gone!!




Some good reads on gentle parenting:


The Parenting Passageway – Gentle Discipline


Confessions of a High Heel Wearing Hippie Mommy – On Spanking


Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources


The Parenting Vortex – Gentle Discipline 101


Authentic Parenting – Eleven Steps for Healing and Restoring Peace After Being Harsh With Your Child


Novel Mama – Golden Rule Parenting

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for including Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources! I love your honesty here. Sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true - yelling, spanking and other demeaning ways of interacting with children really make things harder for you in the long run. Patience takes more effort in the moment but feels so much better afterwards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true: yelling seems easier in the moment but it really makes relating to your child harder in the long run. Great post! And thanks for the link love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. really well said! :) Shared this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. If you are about to say something that you would not let your child hear, then please refrain from saying it.