Curious about who I am? Posts about health and natural birth Resources and posts regarding vaccines and informed consent Posts about Parenting and Relationships Spirituality and Life Lessons Email me Home

*Vegan* Southwestern Hashbrown Casserole

Every year we prepare a breakfast casserole for Christmas morning. This year will be a bit different….vegan style!


To avoid any mishaps, I decided to give it a run through a week prior and test it on my family.

This recipe turned out amazing - it even won over my 3 yr old!

Ingredients:

1 lb. frozen hash browns, semi thawed  
1/2 lb. vegan sausage, crumbled up
5 Tbsp. vegan friendly butter
3 green onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion diced
1 green pepper diced
4 Tbsp. flour
3/4 cup vegetable broth
3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp. oregano
3/4 cup soy milk
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup vegan friendly shredded cheese

Preheat


Lightly oil a casserole dish and toss in hashbrowns and vegan sausage. Here is the type of sausage I bought at my local health food store.


Toss in dish.


In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter.


Chop up veggies (I choose to use onion, green bell pepper, green onions, and garlic)


Saute veggies in butter for a few minutes until tender.


Add 4 tablespoons of flour and cook for a minute.


Measure up your veggie broth and soy milk.




Add the liquid to the veggies and continue to whisk.


Add nutritional yeast, oregano, salt and pepper.




Cook, stirring constantly until thickened (the sauce shouldn’t be so thick that it sits on top of the casserole instead of steeping through). I had to add a bit more soy milk.

Pour sauce over casserole.




And then mix together.


Get shredded cheese and place mix in cassrole.

For this go through I actually left the cheese on top, it turned out ok, but I next time I am going to mix together and instead put bread crumbs on top.


Bake for 50-55 minutes and serve. Mmmmmmmmmm.



2 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    How many people did this serve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had about 8 people there and still had some left!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. If you are about to say something that you would not let your child hear, then please refrain from saying it.